to be or not to be? (indian runners)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalloverabh, May 18, 2010.

1. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

right, so i was planning to get some runners, but what makes this breed such a good duck......ive never had runners before so any advice about runners? do they like mud?
    do they dig the garden up? do they like a pond or a kiddie pool? do they need anything special for runners? sorry to make yoou play 20 q lol but im realy exsited![​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They come in so many different colours- and are very pretty. The upright stance they have makes them look very interesting. They are great egg layers.

Mine do tend to dig up the lawn around where the pool is- and make a mess in any mud... But I wouldnt change anything about them..they are absolutely gorgeous ducks.

3. fisharescary

fisharescary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    I love their funny looks. They're great egg layers, superior foragers (good for garden, duck health, and your wallet!) and on the smaller side, so you can justify getting more of them (yet not as noisy as the smaller Calls)!

4. jjrabbit2

jjrabbit2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    I only bought one and I am wishing I bought more. I got the fawn white runner! So cute and entertaining. She is 8 weeks old now! Loves the water and mud! Not skidish like I thought either. She was raised with 6 chicks and 5 other ducks (Blue Swedish, Khaki cambell and rouen).

5. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I love the way they look. I think they are also very sweet. They are funny and entertaining. It is hard to resist all of that cuteness. : )

[​IMG]

6. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Is this a little blue? He's awfully cute.

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I vote yes, get some indian runner ducklings.

8. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

ok so i am going to get runners after all..but 1 more question,do i get 1 day olds or week olds or what?

9. WadeMD

WadeMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    All ducks I've ever seen will turn a wet spot in the yard into a mudhole! They enjoy digging down through the grass and eating anything they can find (and mouthing everything else too).

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Where can you get the Indian runners???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by