To Big?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MrChicken095, Feb 15, 2015.

1. MrChicken095

MrChicken095 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Oregon
    Hello everyone! I have a question, how big is to big? My chickens are one year old currently and very healthy. But I realized when I went to a friends house that their chickens were way smaller than my own. So I was wondering, can chickens get to big? And if so, then should I start feeding mine less? Thank you all!

[​IMG] (this is my largest hen, Ginger)

2. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Are you comparing the same breed and age of chickens? Don't give them too many treats that will cause them to gain weight, like bread and cheese. Chicken/layer feed and vegetables. Do they free range? grass and bugs are good...

3. chixmaidservice

chixmaidservice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2013
    To me your hens look perfect- I would think if breeds and age are equivalent between the flocks- the other chickens would be smaller cause of lack of nutrition, more so than your's being too big.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What breed(s) and age are the birds you are comparing? There is a wide spectrum of "normal" for size of birds depending on breed and age - comparing apples to oranges will often result in feeling there is a discrepancy that is not actually there.

5. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

If the posted photograph is of the bird in question, then I think she looks just fine. Most of my birds tend to run in the range that yours appeared to be. If your are letting yours free range, are they also? The birds being able to choose feeds to their liking in this manner, seem in my opinion to look the nicest. As noted prior… make sure you have your apples to apples, which is often hard to do. I suppose you could weigh her, and check that against the breed standard range, but even then, environment and feeding opportunities will be different flock to flock. I think you are doing fine.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by