1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

To breath or not to breath..? (feed fermenting)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FlyWheel, Dec 12, 2016.

1. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

...that is my question.

I just started fermenting my feed, and have been going through the various threads here and the articles linked to within them, and am becoming rather confused. Here is my quandary...

Some say that lacto-fermentation (the kind we want) is an anaerobic, meaning without oxygen, process. Others state it is aerobic one,meaning it requires oxygen. Now I still don't have my PhD in biochemistry yet, but I do know that either type of bacteria has this nasty tendency to die off of if it finds itself in the wrong environment. In Other Words it has to be one or the other, it cannot be both. So which is it? Do I leave my brew uncovered and be sure to stir in a bunch of air (oxygen) so the 'bugs' can breath? or cover it up to prevent the oxygen in the air from killing off the lacto-bacteria that is doing the fermenting?

I'm thinking this is going to be heated, that's why I started a separate thread.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is my understanding that some of the bacteria and yeasts work in various concentrations of oxygen so it isn't just one or the other.
    I start mine covered in water so get more of the anaerobic fired up but eventually let all the water be absorbed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by