to build or to buy?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dizzo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. dizzo

dizzo Hatching

Mar 10, 2011
    i want the experience and hands on of building my own coop, however, it's going to cost me about the same (maybe less) to just buy one already made. has anybody else contemplated this? what should i do?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Where in the world did you find a coop for sale that would be equitable to you building one??? I guess if that WAS the case, and it had all/most of the features I wanted in a coop, I'd probably take the pre-made one, because time is money, and you'd spend quite a bit of time building one. Of course it also depends on WHEN you need the coop. If you don't need one until this summer, maybe you'd want to take the time and practice your own carpentry skills... [​IMG]

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG]

I posted the very same thread when I was trying to decide between buying a pre-made shed or building my own.
    After careful consideration and much research, we decided to build our own.
    We wanted an 8x12 coop and the pre-made sheds that size cost an average of $1,600. [​IMG]

We just finished buying all the materials (including 2 windows) for building our 8x12 coop (from Lowes) and the total cost came to $643 (using our 10% off coupon).
    This does not include paint since we purchased pre-primed siding for the walls, so we're not painting at this time.
    We will be picking up a door from Habitat for Humanity Restore ($10).

I am reading the Building Chicken Coops For Dummies book (since I've never built anything in my life), and it's a tremendous help for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0470598964

You will have to decide what it is you want to do and then go with it!
    There is no "right" way to do it.... only YOUR way.

WELCOME, again, and GOOD LUCK!!!!!

[​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have never yet seen a prefab coop that is properly ventilated, so for us there was really no question about building our own. I really didn't want to pay $$$ for something I'd have to start ripping lots of holes in.

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Songster

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    much cheaper to build.

we lucked out and found an 8x12 shed for really cheap- only spent $350 on it, but it was just a shed and not a coop. We have turned it into a coop by building nest boxes, and roosts-etc. Still not what I want, but it works.

You can find scrap lumber for really cheap (depending on the size of your coop)

I would much rather re-purpose items then buying new.

I am looking daily for on old plastic playhouse to turn into a coop like some have done on here.

Shipping crates also come in handy for coop building...

6. dizzo

dizzo Hatching

Mar 10, 2011
    @ teach1rusl im only building for 2 hens, so it IS the case when it comes to small house designs.
    the lowest i've seen (pre-fab) is around $200 and from what im reading (and pricing from different sites and stores) its going to cost more to make even the simplest one. if you know of anything lower please let me know. (with sugar on top!)
    i would most def put in the time it takes to build one, i just want the best for the birds and dont know which way to go.
    im even thinking of getting a large dog house and just building a "L" shaped run around my garden! (i'll post pics tonight to show the space).
    im going to buy that book! i need all the info i can get!
    when i put the pics up, please check them out and give any info or ideas you can! im not the most creative person in the world and can use all the help i can get.[​IMG]

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    If you're only building for two hens, that opens up a huge arena of possibilities.
    You could very easily modify a child's playhouse from CraigsList.
    Or pick up an old dog kennel and put predator-proof wiring around the bottom.
    Small coops are very easy to build and there are so many possibilities here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken-coop-small.html

[​IMG]

8. dizzo

dizzo Hatching

Mar 10, 2011
    ok. pre-fab not being well ventalated-thats all i need to know! im building!
    i will post those pics though to show the space im working with so i can learn from the best on how to do the best!
    thanks everyone![​IMG]

9. garthmyers

garthmyers In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I chose to build my own coop i got almost twice the space for the same amount of money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: