To busy with your chickens to have a pool?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchickmom, Dec 11, 2007.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know this seems like a silly question, but we had a swimming pool in town. Now, my husband says we will be to busy with chickens and horses to have time to swim next summer. How many of you have pools? and do you have time to use them? I don't think I can survive the summer without One:(

2. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    I don't know much about horses, but I can do my chicken chores in 15 minutes (once in the morning 15 minutes, once in the evening 15 minutes). Fifteen minutes covers filling waterers for 7 calves, 3 pigs, 30 chickens, 3 ducks, 6 guineas and a mess of cats, AND filling all the feeders, spreading scratch as needed and opening up or closing up all the doors. The additional time spent with my birds at my leisure is watching them, giving treats, and petting & talking to them can be a much as I want or on busy days as little as necessary. Some time for maintenance and coop cleaning are needed on a weekly basis or so.

I think I could still squeeze in so swim time if I had a mind too.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    always find time to swim in the pond

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I have horses and chickens AND a pool... all in the same yard. I don't recommend it. The only time I use the pool is after a long, hot day with the horses. I'll jump in to cool off then hop in the shower. I'll never buy a house with a pool again.

5. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

I have chickens, horses,and a pool(+ dogs and cats) and never have had a problem.We have a fence between the pasture and the pool/backyard. And all the chores are done within 30 minutes in the morning and evening. During the summer my family and I swim everyday! I don't think you should have a problem. Have a good day![​IMG]

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My mom is lucky we dont have a pool. I would hatch baby ducks and have them in it

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    We have a pool and love it. Our chickens don't interfere at all. My grandchildren love to come to Granny and Papa's from April thru Sept. One was kind of hoping to swim Thanksgiving day. They are so funny.
    We don't have the miniature horse anymore but he didn't interfere with pool either.
    [​IMG]

8. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I love my pool. It's fenced off from the rest of the yard, the chickens don't get near it.

The key was getting a Dolphin automatic pool vacuum. I only have to work at maintenance when I open it in the spring and close it in fall. Otherwise, I just fill up the chlorine dispenser once a week and roll the cover on/off, which takes about 5 minutes.

I have time to go for a swim a few times per week even while working full-time, commuting an hour each way to work, and going to school part-time, plus caring for chickens, dog, cats, turtle, various houseplants, garden...It's actually best after doing all those chores, do a lazy backstroke for an hour or so before bed and watch the sunset/stars.

9. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I have a pool, and horses, and chickens, and dogs and a cat......find time (between the two of us), to enjoy them all. We feed up in the morning and evenings and swim in between. [​IMG]

10. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Grew up w/ a pool (I think it was the law in Orange County that you HAD to have a pool) so it's not a necessity...but I do love to swim.

Now I'm a Country Hippie we go to the Big Pond and the Russian River for water fun. Splash splash.

How DO people find the time to do all the stuff they do? It takes me hours to watch the chickens argue w/ the ravens in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by