To buy 2 or 3 feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by amenfarm, Jun 10, 2011.

1. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I have the chance to buy this feeder, http://webstore.stockdales.com/Main/Item.aspx?fl=-2147483123&m=-2147482030&ii=21300,
    the couple that are selling them have 3, i'm getting a great price, i hope to have 25 chickens by spring. want the larger breeds Black australopes, ect. So the question is, do I need 2 or 3 of the 5 gallon? I'm not wanting to fill and not fill up for a week, i'm wanting to make sure everyone gets a chance at the table. suggestions? I pick up tommorrow at 3:00.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

The item in that link is a waterer. When I had chickens before I had a feeder that looked like that and I used one for about 25 laying hens.

3. amenfarm

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I may have posted the wrong one, the one the gentleman is using was holding feed when I saw it-it was a filled then had a sleeve on then outer part, if he has one that holds water too, I'll only get 2. I want a plastic white 1/ 5 gallon bucket with 3 nipples out the bottom, so i can see the water level.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Yes, that is a waterer. One thing to consider if you have alimited space for your chickens is how much space the feeder and water take up.
    I prefer a feeder and waterer that are up against the wall taking up as little space as possible and handle a lot fo feed and water so I am not out there twice a day dealing with it.

This is what my feeder looks like:

[​IMG]

On the outside of my coop, there is a four foot long 3.5" pipe holding feed that fills it up.

5. amenfarm

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I bought 2 different a little than picture, no lids, hubbie will fix pail lid, or pie pan lids. Love, love your cup waterers for your hens! Just found out the man I boughtf eeders from sold out his chickens because he could not stop the raccoons. The man who bought them is cooking them all!!![​IMG] they were such good layers and their eggs sure were tasty. he was upset when i told him I had wanted to buy some but did'nt call. I did explain I did not know when we would have a coop for them or I would have got all 27.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by