1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To buy or not to buy more ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rgn87, Jan 2, 2011.

1. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    Two years ago i got mallard ducks, and after six months they flew off to breed. Last year I got cayuga ducks and after eight months they were stolen(by humans) from my yard. I am at an impass, I want ducks, but so far I am 0/2. I don't know if its cruel to get more and have them disappear too, or maybe those weren't my fault. I am really worried about this, any advice you can give me would help.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, I went through two flocks before finally succeeding in developing a system that kept them safe. Even then, I had a few more losses before the system was perfected. So I don't think it's useless to try if you really want them.

However, I would think carefully about what you've learned so far and what else you need to know in order to be successful. Take the time to read Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and hang out on these forums for a bit. Look at your set-up and decide what you need to do to make it safe for your ducks. If you're worried about human theft, maybe your pen needs to have a padlock on it. Regardless, you need to have a pen that is predator proofed, made with sturdy materials and completely contained.

So, just examine what you have so far and learn what you need to do to improve. Then I say, if you really want ducks, go for it. And good luck!

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Give it another try! But build them a better coop, and lock the doors.

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Exactly! My opinion as well. Learn , learn, learn...... modify, modify, adapt, adapt....... [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Storey's Guide was a great resource. And because I live in a populous area, I have locks on all the doors and gates. It won't guarantee anything (my nightmare: raccoons learn how to use boltcutters), but so far, so good.

I also encourage a few trusted neighbors to come over and enjoy the ducks. They listen out for them and help me keep an eye on them.

6. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I am getting 2 Pekins in february. It's good to get a breed that doesn't fly if you don't have an enclosure for them. I am getting an enclosure with a lock, so I am the only one that can get it (That should help with the stealing problem). It is important to get an enclosure that is big enough for them to play and move around, but not so they can get out. It should also have a roof with a tarp on top, and a dog house (For extreme weather). If you want to buy a really good book on duck, I recommend the "The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook" I bought that from Metzer Farms. My advice is try again with ducks, you could be lucky! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by