To catch a predator - Garage break in?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nickeechickee, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Nickeechickee

Nickeechickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    It seems like since we moved the chickens outdoors we have had nothing but predator problems. We are in a suburban area, so most likely culprits are coons, possums, cats and skunks.

Something has been breaking into the coop at night. Totally gutted two chickens. I have taken to locking them in the coop at night which has solved that problem, though it has caused some broken eggs...

Now something has broken into our garage. The bottom of the door has rotted out, and we had some planks covering the hole. Something tore those down, came in, dumped the cat food, opened the rubbermaid with the dog food, and got into and killed 5 week old chicks that were in a large rubbermaid tote with a heat lamp. The 8 month old babies that are in a dog cage were not visibly harmed. The 5 chicks are totally gone - a few feathers but whatever it was at them whole or carried them off.

What is doing this and how do I kill it? Trying to stop it does not seem to work, so now I just want it dead. I am devastated at how many we've lost, and hubby says we can't afford to order any more right now...

2. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I think that sounds like the work of raccoons. Especially all that handy work, they are pretty strong and good with working their hands. I would buy a live trap and bait it with either the catfood or if you can stomach it, one of the dead birds. Whatever it is will be back looking for more and you may be able to trap it and kill it. Best of luck to you.

3. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    With a live trap, what is the most humane way to kill it? Or do I simply drive as far out of the city as possible and dump it somewhere?

4. HeatherEmme

HeatherEmme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    At night locking chickens in their coop is an absolute must. Use hardware cloth on your coop/run instead of chicken wire if you aren't already. Make sure to use locks that aren't too simple. Predators like racoons are incredibly crafty and useful with their hands which may account for the missing chicks. What ever predator is doing this now knows where to get a free meal and will be back. The best thing you can do is upgrade your coop and run area for protection. You can rent traps or buy them, put electric fencing around the coop/run, dogs work really well for chasing off predators (mine are any ways), make sure your coop wood/material is sturdy....etc. HTH

5. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I would not recommend releasing it once you catch it. Predatory mammal have a really high homing instinct and more likely than not it will return and this time it will be trap wise. If you have a gun or a friend that has a gun I usually just shoot them in the trap, some people drown them but I think the most humane way to kill it would just be a quick shot to the head.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm with shmccarthy - just shoot the thing and be done with it. I live "far out of the city" and really don't want people dumping their now trap-wise animals out here where they can be a problem for my chickens. They're city coons. They have no idea where to find food and water out here. They're used to being able to raid garbage cans and cat food dishes. Plus, they'd be dumped off in some other coon's territory and have to fight to survive. Have you ever seen those things when they're mad and fighting? They're vicious! One of them would end up seriously wounded or dead (probably the one you're trying to do the favor for by dumping it off in the first place). The kindest thing you can do is shoot it for find someone who will. It's over with and they never know what happened.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    We call them "small bears" here and for good reason too. They are very aggressive and can work with their hands very well. I heard my cat outside one night screaming and a raccoon had her in his mouth and my dad ran up to the raccoon and it finally dropped her. We took her to the vet the next morning because it was really swollen and they said we would lose her if we didn't treat right away, $400 later we still had out cat.. Point being they kill for fun and they really are very aggressive. Not to mention all the diseases they carry including both feline and canine distemper, rabies, hook and roundworm which are both transmittable to humans, spread through fecal matter. I shoot raccoons on sight here.
    I've been trying to trap a fox in a live trap but a trap wise raccoon has robbed the trap 5 or 6 times now and I have to deal with that first. Quickest and best thing to do is just shoot it and dispose of it.

8. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I agree...shoot it and be done. Buzzards've gotta eat too...

9. Nickeechickee

Dec 23, 2012
    Darn bugger spent the day sleeping in the "loft" of my garage. Went out to check on the "teens" still out there and heard him rustling. Saw me and he came right down like I was going to feed him. Hubby and I cornered him, got him in a cat carrier, and drowned it. I sort of feel bad...but the city would just release it at the park and it would have come right back.

10. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Your darn right.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by