To Clip or Not To Clip, That is the Question

Chick-a-dow-dee

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
February 15 2014, I took the plunge and purchased 5 Buff Orpington pullets and 3 straight run Easter Eggers, 3 months later I'm pretty sure I have two EE Roos and 1 EE pullet. My parents and I live on about two acres so my chickens get to free range, when I'm home to play chicken shepherd, so they free range every night and quite a bit on the weekends.

Chicken Math: about two weeks ago I went to my local feed store to purchase some chicken feed and somehow ended up with four silkie bantams, ergo, I have 12 chickens all under six months of age. The silkies are still inside in my incubator.

My folks both had chickens when they were kids and have been my "guides" in this process. I put quotes on guides because I had to teach my mother that a bantam is a size and not a breed. In any event, they are advising me to clip the chickens wings so they can't fly. I don't want to do this on the chance the chickens may have to fly away from a predator. Keep in kind my chickens do not free range unless I can be outside with them and they've learned to follow where my bamboo poll "staff" leads them to go, which includes back to the coop. They usually get about two hours of free range on the weekdays and more on the weekend, unless it's raining. I have about seven or eight barn type cats that are all spayed or neutered and live outside 24/7 and, I do see the occasional wild bird or lizard carcass. So I've been able to teach the cats that the chickens are off limits and the cats show no interest in them, although they haven't seen the Silkies yet While I have a portion of the backyard fenced, I also have more of it unfenced and the chickens, while fully feathered, can get out of the fence and wander the rest of the yard with no boundaries except my bamboo staff, I've not had any predator problem to date Occasionally a dog or two will stop by but they don't stay for long, especially if I'm outside.

So what do you think, trim wing feathers to prevent flight, or no way they need to have flight?

Thanks!
Joy

If your old chickens haven't flown away, the new ones SHOULD do the same thing and stay around. You are right about if they did encounter a predator, they might want to be able to fly. Unless you start having troubles with them flying away, I would not clip their wings. It would just be easier for them with a predator, and you can't unclip their wing.

Back
Top Bottom