to clip or not to clip....wings?

newchik715

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Washington
So I know this has been done but I was wondering, if you are against wing clipping, is there a health risk involved? Or is it just unnecessary for most situations? I have 6 chickens. 11 weeks old. Three buff Orps and three EE's. Some of these birds seem able to easily hop my five foot fence if they so desired but so far no one has. One of my gates is only four feet high and goes into the front yard and then the road! Am I being overly paranoid or would clipping make sense as well as give my mind a rest? Any thoughts and opinions are welcome here. I have fallen madly in love with my chickens and only want them to be as safe as possible.

Also, I free range in a good sized, but enclosed backyard. There is no run. Opinions on this are welcome too.

Last edited:
The health risk I see to wing clipping is that you take away one of the chicken's primary defenses against predation. A chicken that can't fly away is pretty much a (sorry) sitting duck.

Your situation is a tough call, though. They could also be at danger if they hop the fence, as you say. Some chickens tend to go roaming, others stay home even though they can easily go over the fence (mine are like that). Even though mine don't stray, I still put them in a secure run when I'm not there to watch. I just would be too worried, otherwise.

I clipped my Bantam's wings when I got them since they were new and did not know my home also since I live in town I figured it would be a good idea. I have them free range in the back yard with a 6 foot privacy fence. but one of my bantams flew on top of their pen and almost over the fence so then I clipped wings, the bigger girls do not seem to fly that high. now they have grown out their wings and are settled they can still fly somewhat just not as high. since i do not live out in the country and do not have to worry about to many predators flying is not that big of issue. remember when the girls get full size they won't be able to get that much lift when they fly since of their size if you do not need the to fly for safty from predators and such clipping their wings will not hurt them. there is a great illustration in the leaning center on byc that I used to clip wings.

Back
Top Bottom