To clip or not to clip?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nhchickmom, May 18, 2009.

1. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Hmmm....just wondering what you all think. We recently had to fence in our previously free-range flock as they were really being a nuisance to our neighbors and with adding 6 new chicks to the flock we thought it was best. The girls do not like being fenced in, even though they have about 600 sq. ft for 4 birds. They are finding ways to get out like stand on eachother's backs and flap and fly over the fence. I am not kidding about this [​IMG] As soon as one gets out the others will pace back and forth until they too figure out a way to escape. Do you think I should clip their wings?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a good way to keep them home. We clip only one wing at a time and rotate each clipping. That way when they figure out how to fly with one wing we throw them off by clipping the other. None of ours can get over a 6 foot fence.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    It's a cheap and easy solution that's worth trying. It's a bit of a pain to do, but easy once you get the hang of it and if it will keep good relations with your neighbors: priceless.

[​IMG] Standing on each other's backs! [​IMG]

4. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    Ok. I am going to try one lat fence building technique today because they have a particular section they feel comfortable flying out off. If this doesn't work then I will go ahead and clip I think. Thanks for the advice:)

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My polish chicks are already proving to be adept flyers. Their wings will get clipped because our neighbors on all sides have dogs and my birds belong in my yard!

7. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    I think it's best to clip before they get the taste of the "outside world". We clipped ours before they were released to free-range and have never had them go over the fence, at least not yet. Since it's easy and painless ours will always be clipped. I like the idea of clipping alternate wings, it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info.

8. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    clip there feathers that way they can not fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by