To clip or not to clip?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bawkbawkbawk, Oct 24, 2011.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I have five four-month-old pullets who are in love with flying. [​IMG] Well, four of the five, since the Silkie thankfully does not fly. I let them out of their pen for exercise in the fenced chicken yard, but they're now flapping over the fence and yesterday almost flew over the next fence to the neighbor's yard, and I'm not sure how we would have gotten them back if they'd done it.

I don't worry quite as much about the EE and the Black Copper Marans, they're big girls, but the little Mille Fleur D'Uccle is so tiny and such a flyer! She's like a hummingbird! [​IMG]

I think it might be safer for them if I clipped their wings, but we do have a hawk that visits regularly and I don't know if I would be putting them at a disadvantage as far as getting away from him. I never let them out of their pen unless I'm with them because of the frequency of the hawk visits, so I kind of think they're better off clipped and where I can keep an eye on them.

Any pros or cons or experiences with this?

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

It's pretty good to clip them.

Pro's

They can't fly over the fence to the neighbors yard for one thing.

They still can fly just a little bit, but not enough to fly long distance.

They'll be alot more easy to catch.

Con's

They don't have much of a chance to get away from Raccons, stray dogs, ect.

If you have a high perch, then they can't fly up very well.

It's your choice. I would clip if I were in your shoe's. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    with clipped wings, mine can fly up to roost on the 6foot run. They can't fly AS good as before, but can still get some good height and distance.

I always clip, otherwise they would be in the trees every day

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

This is very helpful, thanks.

Our property is fenced and gated so I'm not too worried about stray dogs and I've never seen a racoon during the day (knock on wood).

They will have to be able to flap up to about a 4' countertop in the coop once they start laying because that's where the nesting boxes are. I guess little Miss Silkie will have to lay her eggs on the ground but I've heard Silkies aren't big layers anyway so hopefully that won't be a big issue.

Guess I'd better sharpen some scissors tonight...

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Just remember only clip one wing!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by