To clip or not to clip....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WagarFamilyFarm, Jun 26, 2008.

1. WagarFamilyFarm

WagarFamilyFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Nashville, IN
    Group,

How many of you clip and at what age do you start? Do you clip both sides, one side all wing feathers or just the primary?

We're free ranging our birds inside a 1700 sqft electric fence and don't want them to attempt to fly over it.

Thanks,

WagarFamilyFarm

2. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I was thinking about clipping as well and will be very interedted in any information anyone posts up here. My roo loves to be out of his run but I'm afraid he will fly out of the yard.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I do not clip. Chickens left to free range need to be a ble to fly to get away from predators. Unless you can be around to watch them all the time they are out you really shouldn't clip them.

If you do clip, only do one side and make sure it is the flight feathers and not too short. You want them to be off kilter so they can't catch wind to lift off.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    What kind do you have and how much do they fly now?

5. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I have a ten week old ameracuana rooster and two 7 week old black minorcas. The minorcas really can fly. My roo hasn't tried to get to high just yet. I on;y let him out when I am right there by him. When I go in the house he goes back into the run.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I clip one side and primaries only. I clip as soon as they show a tendency to fly over the fence around my yard! My free rangers don't have to worry about any predators except my goofy cat....he makes a few half-hearted attempts until he ticks off the rooster. Love to watch Sue chase the cat! [​IMG]

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    What Prissy said.

I clip because:

A. Mine don't "free-range," ie, roam all over the place.
    B. Mine are yarded and should stay in their yard for their own good.

I clip them as soon as they go out the Big Coop and they stay that way as long as they remain.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  8. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I might need to clip my female turkey-- I had to get her out a tree last night- she was so cute though!!! and I could reach her. BUt I may clip a little off both sides so she can still fly- but not so well

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I do not clip, rarely because like MissPrissy I want them to be able to get away from skunks, raccoons, fisher cats. . . . at least to have a fighting chance.

I remember that you have strong feelings about free ranging, Elderoo. My chickens are well cared for and spend a fair amount of time in a large fenced backyard. Its not exactly free, as in ranging a mile off, but it works for us. Though all of my girls can fly well, to the tops of trees, coop rafters eight feet up, etc., they all come happily down for food.

Several flew over the fence as babies, were terrified at not being able to come back in, and never did it again. The fences are only six fet and they could easily fly over, but don't. I dont keep roosters however, but only "borrow" them, as I live in town, with fairly close neighbors.

I like to see them fly - its beautiful, except for the fat barred rocks who just look ridiculous- and they love to fly so I just dont mess with it, I guess.

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    For those of us with urban flocks and close neighbors, it could mean the difference between a chicken that stays in my yard and a chicken that accidently flies into the yard of a next door neighbor (both of whom have dogs).

When clipping wings, only clip one side. This puts them off balance. Also, only clip a few feathers and be careful about blood vessels.

I used to have parakeets & cockatiels, so have clipped many wings in the past!

Resources:
    how-to:
    single-feather method - http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/clip.html
    multiple feathers method - http://birdmart.com/reference/wings.html

video
    :
    http://birds.about.com/b/2007/10/17/video-how-to-clip-a-birds-wings.htm

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by