To clip or not??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chilly, Sep 8, 2009.

1. chilly

chilly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    England
    I have an Aylesbury, a black Swede and a Khaki campbell

i am fairly sure the Ayles won't need its wings clipped and i'm 90% sure the Swede won't but would any of you recomend that i get the Campbell's wings clipped ( or do it myself )?

is it a fairly easy process? i know you just do one wing but are there any good threads on here that explain in detail how to do it??

2. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    This is a website about clipping waterfowl, and which breeds generally need clipping. http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

I've
    never done ducks, but I have done parrots. I get the bird wrapped loosely in a towel, so they can't bite me or escape, but can still breathe. Then I extend the wing I'm going to work on, examine the base of the feathers, and clip those that are safe to clip. New feathers still have a blood supply, which makes the shaft dark. A feather that's safe to clip will have a clear shaft. I do both wings, since only doing one may not be enough and could lead to injury if they land funny.

If you do cut a blood feather by accident, you'll need to pull it out, or the bird could bleed to death.

I usually clip wings by myself, since I've been doing it for a long time and don't have anyone who can help me, but you might need someone else to hold the duck.

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i say dont they are too heavy to fly except maybe your campbell i have buffs and swedes and i dont they are too "fat" to get off the ground and my fence is only 5 foot

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    The Aylesbury and Swede won't fly and I doubt the Campbell would go off and leave her buds.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My campbells flew about as well as a brick [​IMG]

6. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    My campbell... Doesn't know she has wings. o_o;;

You could drop her from the roof of the house and she wouldn't open her wings up once. SPLAT!

I swear, they breed intelligence out of ducks just to up egg production. And they didn't have too much to begin with! [​IMG]

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Yeah my campbells dont fly...they can jump and flap but then [​IMG]

8. chilly

chilly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    England
    Thanks for all the info, the link is great. the thing is my Campbell is very small, i assumed that the Swede was a Campbell [​IMG] ( thats what we asked for)

and i was concerned that little Cocoa was a lot smaller than the Swede, i knew the Ayles was a big un but now i realsie why she's so much smaller DOH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by