to cold outside ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sabrina1099, Nov 11, 2015.

1. sabrina1099

sabrina1099 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    my 6 week old chick is getting sorta stinky in her box inside the house.... in my area it gets around 39 degrees at night. She is use to being inside at 70 degrees. will she be okay to go outside ?

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    By 6 weeks chicks should be able to go outside. Does she have any friends to snuggle up to outside to keep her warm? If not, you may want to hang a heat lamp in your coop.

1 person likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You only have one? Any others outside? As soon as they are feathered, they can go out, but they need to be hardened off first. You do that by taking them out for short day time excursions and bringing them back in if they seem to be cold. start with a few minutes, working up to an hour or two, until they are spending the whole day outside. Then you can progress to night time. The whole process is based on looking at how they react, and responding accordingly. I'm particularly concerned that you refer to a single chick. If you have a flock, it will be difficult to integrate her, and if you don't have a flock, she'll not have any warm bodies to snuggle up to.

4. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by