To combine or not combine.

BoE1987

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
I have a ratio of 6:1 in 2 pens. The pens are 15 sqft (i added a mesh floor bottom to this pen https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/archie-oscar-dorian-extreme-hen-chicken-run-aosc1508.html).
Either way, 4 days ago I lost my rooster to 1 of the pens due to a broken neck. Not sure what spooked him.
I have 1 rooster left while I'm frantically collecting eggs to hatch a new possible rooster.
Can I add these extra 6 females to my other 6:1 pen?
I realize fertilizing rates will probably plumet as thats a lot of hens to service for 1 roo, buuut I also just ordered 30 Jumbo quail eggs for hatching too. Obviously I have time, I'm just looking for some answers.

Would the current 6 who are my most active layers benefit from going into my other 6:1 pen? Would it cause serious issues to combine?

Attachments

• 20210603_103553.jpg
    20210603_103553.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 5
Looking at your setup, it might be a bit crowded with 11 birds in there. It is technically 15 sqft, but you need to subtract the space used by feeders, waterers, and hiding places.

I have a ratio of 6:1 in 2 pens. The pens are 15 sqft (i added a mesh floor bottom to this pen https://www.wayfair.com/pet/pdp/archie-oscar-dorian-extreme-hen-chicken-run-aosc1508.html).
Either way, 4 days ago I lost my rooster to 1 of the pens due to a broken neck. Not sure what spooked him.
I have 1 rooster left while I'm frantically collecting eggs to hatch a new possible rooster.
Can I add these extra 6 females to my other 6:1 pen?
I realize fertilizing rates will probably plumet as thats a lot of hens to service for 1 roo, buuut I also just ordered 30 Jumbo quail eggs for hatching too. Obviously I have time, I'm just looking for some answers.

Would the current 6 who are my most active layers benefit from going into my other 6:1 pen? Would it cause serious issues to combine?
Here’s the catch, even if they get along and have no issues, the girls you move may not lay for a week or more due to the move.

Having said that, I’ll add that I move my birds all the time, switch them from pen to pen. I normally mist all the birds and the pen with vinegar water, and then I watch for trouble and I squirt any aggressors with vinegar water. It’s very rare that I have any that just refuse to get along, but it does happen.

Back
Top Bottom