to continue with 'free-ranging' over winter or bring them closer home?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Nov 2, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my chickens (all 80 of them) free range round our local area...its just fields and no traffic so a great 'play' area for them. the winter is drawing in fast here and ive been reading here on byc that people dont let their birds free range over winter...why is this? increased threat of predators? shorter days? fear of birds wandering too far?

i would like to know do i need to erect a fence to keep them confined around their houses over winter or can they continue to free range?

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    That's a good question... One of mine went missing today and half of the others were hiding in the edge of the woods. I offered them treats to try to coax them out, but they weren't interested. Thankfully a little later they made their way back to the coop.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I let mine free range all winter, but they always return to the coop very early during the dark nights.

I guess predators are likely to be more hungry in the winter.

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    luckily they all come home every night to roost..id hate to be rounding them up in the dark every night. think i shall continue to let them free range then [​IMG]

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Mine free range all year long. They do come home at dusk. So far I haven't had any problems. Most of my problems are in the spring when the predators are feeding their young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by