To coop or not to coop...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nvmycj, Jul 1, 2010.

1. nvmycj

nvmycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Hey gang!

My dilema------> When I get my day old chickies, do I brood them in the house, or can/should I put them in the coop?

I'd like for them to be around us as much as possible and to recognize our voices and have the doggies used to them & vice versa...

Suggestions?

Comments?

Concerns?

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't keep my chicks in the house for more than 8 days. They really do smell and they produce a TON of dust.

If the coop is empty, I'd put them in the coop and spend time with them out there.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    They are outdoor creatures, so don't keep them in for any longer than you have to. they probably do need to be indoors for the first week though.

When you do move them out make sure they have shelter from the elements if there is an outdoor run. They will need heat in the coop if the external temperatures demands, particularly if they are in small numbers.

Spend a reasonable amount of time chatting to them and handling them (I'm afraid I don't really know what is a reasonable time!) when they go out and they will soon become friendly.

Good Luck,

Sandie

4. nvmycj

nvmycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Quote:Thanks guys.

Sandie: What does the external temperature have to get down to in order to provide a heat source? I'll have about 2 dozen to start off with. Will they instinctively huddle together for warmth?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by