1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To cover or not to cover, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Jan 21, 2015.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    So I'm pretty sure I know what I should do but I thought to run it by y'all. I had to redo the roof on my duck hut since I didn't do a big enough overhang originally. Anyway now I have a 1 inch gap between the top of the wall and the roof. All the other gaps are covered with hardware cloth. Is 1 inch too big? I will cover it if needed (which I assume I should) but I'm being lazy and if y'all think it will be fine then I will leave it. I know we have mice and rats and I had pet rats so I know they could fit into tiny spaces. Would the ducks kill off any mice that got in? I don't keep food or water in the coop.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If they can catch the mice they will eat them, but them catching the mice is really problematic and often greatly overrated.

Do you need to cover those holes? What other holes or openings do you have in your coop? How big are they? What size openings are in your run fencing and is your run sealed well enough that things can’t get under, through, or over? Did you use 1” hardware cloth or something smaller?

A 1” opening will keep out any large predator, but a snake, weasel, or rat can get through. How often will they attack? Depends on where you live and what the predator pressure is from them. Weasel attacks are not really that common but when they do occur, they are devastating.

If that is a 1” opening and not bigger and you have 1” openings other places, I’d probably not worry about it. If you feel your coop and probably run are closed tighter than that, then put wire up.

I covered any opening larger than 1” with 1” hardware cloth but didn’t worry about anything smaller. But others are not willing to do that. It’s a personal decision.

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    They free range during the day in my suburban back yard. I use 1/2 inch over the other opening. Weasels aren't all that common here in central Texas but we do have snakes. I'm sure I'll cover it because I'm paranoid and I had it covered earlier but had to redo things to stop a leak. This is the house and the second pic is where there is a gap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    half inch hardware cloth over all opening weasel, minks, rats supposedly can get through 1 inch holes I wouldn't take the chance.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto Miss Lydia. Glad you are asking before tragedy strikes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by