1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To cover or not to cover

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by cravenchx, Feb 11, 2014.

1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    We have a nice HOT pile. We are expecting ~6 inches of snow, do y'all think I should cover? I have an old piece of tin over now? Chicken poop and coffee grounds are the bomb!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Don't cover. The moisture is great and snow is filled with nitrogen. Check the forecast, but I'll bet it's all melted by Saturday anyhow. It will do it good.

Farmers used to be excited when they'd get a wet snow fall. They quickly get into the fields and plow in the snow before it evaporated. This was to lock in the nitrogen, or as much as possible.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I noticed you're a dental assistant so let me ask you a question. My dentist put a temp filling in after removing the old. Took xrays but says a new filling won't hold. However it's been a least two months since he put in the temp. He wants to do a crown. It's a next to last molar. The crwon will cost me $345 AFTER the insurance.

My question is. If a temp filling will hold for this long, why won't a regular filling hold? Am I being had? I've been going to the same dentist for more than 30 yrs. Should I see another dentist and get a second opinion? or should I have it pulled? Which is the other choice.

BTW, I do have my teeth cleaned at least once a year, sometimes two.

Oh and I didn't know that about compost piles. I have two and they're not covered. Well they are covered with snow. [​IMG] I just keep tossing stuff on.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC

If the temp. Filling has lasted a long time, the dentist did a nice job, but it is just a temp to fill a void. Don't wait too long, the tooth could fracture and become non restorable. A crown is the standard of care. Good luck!

5. cravenchx

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC

I guess I need to remove the piece of tin! Although the pile is wet, we've had a wet winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by