To crow or not to crow, that is the question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HoltLakeMama, Jul 12, 2010.

1. HoltLakeMama

HoltLakeMama Hatching

Jun 3, 2010
    WI
    This is not my first time posting for gender guesses. [​IMG] While I seem to have no problem looking at other people's chicken pictures and declare them poulets or roos, I cannot seem to figure out my own.[​IMG] I've looked at other pictures and read tips, but I don't know. We are all on the edge of our seats waiting for someone to crow! Our house is close to our neighbors and we can't imagine that we would be able to keep more than one roo, and even that is questionable.
    We are pretty far North and the coop is being constructed with bear and cold weather as the main focus. Has that insulation and tight construction helped anyone out with roo noise?
    We have family visiting from out of town and all of the cousins have taken quite a liking to the chickens. The kids pitched in on a chicken photo shoot with mixed results [​IMG] We believe them to be EE, and have guesses as to who is a boy and who is a girl, but they seem to change on a daily basis. I'm sure that better chicken people would have no problem figuring it out! Everyone will be waiting to hear what you experts think. Thanks so much for your help! I hope I'm doing this okay, I had a little spat with photobucket (it wasn't doing what I wanted it to do, so I said bad things about it under my breath while I worked on the post [​IMG] ).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mooney, not very friendly.
    [​IMG]
    Todd, so pretty. Must be a rooster?
    [​IMG]
    Star, we are really on the fence with this one. We love this chicken!
    [​IMG]
    Little Penny had all of her tail feathers plucked and they are growing in a little slow now.
    [​IMG]
    Dolly has the cutest face. I'm pretty sure this is the one that is making some funny noises. Too pretty to be a poulet?
    [​IMG]
    Buttercup has always been the mellow chick. We're thinking hen.
    [​IMG]
    My son wanted to make sure that I included a 'family picture' He was hoping for a more formal portrait, but this will have to do.
    Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I would vote roos for Todd and Dolly, but the pics are kinda small, so I can't tell for sure.

3. HoltLakeMama

HoltLakeMama Hatching

Jun 3, 2010
    WI
    Thanks, they are the most likely suspects for us too. I'll try to resize the pictures, my computer doesn't want to cooperate [​IMG]

4. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Buttercup is a girl.
    I'm leaning toward girl on Todd and Mooney, but the tails are throwing me off.
    Dolly is a boy, Penny is a girl. See the difference in comb development? Plus that handsome boy tail is coming in. [​IMG]
    Star is most likely a girl.

5. HoltLakeMama

HoltLakeMama Hatching

Jun 3, 2010
    WI
    I guess that you have to look at the big chicken picture when trying to figure this stuff out. [​IMG] We always thought that Star was probably a roo because s/he was always the biggest and pretty dominant. Now Star has a big and bright comb but not a big tail, so the tail is more important than the comb? Todd is getting a pretty big tail and has a big comb. That seemed like a red flag?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by