to crow or not to crow... that is the question!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hillsvale, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Songster

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    So I have this series of mystery birds from a local breeder which are not at all what I ordered... in posting all the pic's on a previous post most thought this peep was a barred rock (which is fine) ... these peeps are now all 21 weeks 2 days.

[​IMG]

all my roosters crowed at about 12 weeks.... the bird above is much more developed than the lower picture

[​IMG]

from the same hatch....

So if that is a roo.... when will he crow? [​IMG] It/he/she has not shown an ounce of rooish behavior... so I am confused.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chirping

Jul 8, 2010
    He may not crow if you have a more dominant one doing it all.

3. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Songster

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    hummm I wondered about that, he's just so darned cute and lets you pick him up to put the bed... I wouldn't think of picking up the columbian rock or egyptian fayoumis!... I guess we will wait and see, we are in the process of rehoming some of the roo's so we will be left with the columbian, one fayoumi and one silkie roo. I guess he's just shy... all 5 others crow constantly trying to out do the others! lol

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Nice chickens! I have two roosters, and the dominant one, Popeye, will crow every morning. Red, however, the more layed back, docile one, doesn't crow. He also lets me pick him up and he really loves to have the back of his head rubbed. He will fall asleep if I do that. It's too cute. I love him.

5. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Songster

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    very cute Sharon and thanks...

I have 5 confirmed roo's and this silent guy... the other 5 crow all day long egging each other on (pardon the pun)

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    at 21 weeks might just be a pullet ready to lay where the other girls aren't

7. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Songster

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:they are all from the same hatch and this one was more developed from about 12 weeks one but we had that happen with fayoumi hens so you never know... the eggs [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by