To cull or not, cat got the chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moriah, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    I'm not sure how old the chick is as I just got them from my nephew. One of the cats got the chick and I got it away from him. Her left leg is skinned all the way to her thigh and she has a bone deep wound on her right side and her comb is also injured. She's acting fine, in a crate in the house, but I know she is at extremely high risk for infection. I'm just not sure with how much muscle is exposed if I'd even be able to save her. Suggestions?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

Flush the wounds with saline or sterile water. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wounds.

Keep her warm and on clean dry bedding. Offer some poultry vitamins in her water a couple of times a week and see that she is eating her chick starter well.

Since you report that she is acting fine - then you may want to treat her and see how it goes. Chickens are resilient and fairly heal quickly - barring infection. The main thing is to keep the wounds clean.

Keep us posted.

3. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've been busy getting ready for the coming storm. The chick is still doing good. No obvious signs of infection and the exposed muscle seems to be scabbing over/ healing not entirely sure but it doesn't look infected. She is still eating drinking and wants to get out of the crate and explore. So I'm just gonna keep her separated for now and see how she progresses.

Thank you for your reply!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear that she is still going[​IMG]

If you have a way to place her near the other chicks that may make her happy. Depending on the size of your brooder, you may be able to make a wire barrier and let her be on one side so she can see everyone. If not, give her a stuffed animal to snuggle with and place an unbreakable mirror in her cage so she can look at herself, they seem to like that.[​IMG]

Thanks for the update. I hope she continues to improve.

5. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope she pulls through

Gary

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by