To cull or not to cull, tough question

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PrinceFarm, Apr 14, 2009.

1. PrinceFarm

PrinceFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    This is a phoenix chick about 7 weeks old with a beak problem. I bought this as an ornimental bird and didnt plan on breeding them so the problem never seemed like a big deal but now I think he is having a problem eating. What do you people think. on the on hand I do need room because my chickens will be a bit crowded once they get grown and I dont want the poor thing to starve. On the other hand, perhaps he is eating ok enouph to survive. He is very submisive to all the other chickens and knows his place in the pecking order. I know that knowone wants to tell me to kill my chicken so just tell me what you would do.

[​IMG]

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
  3. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    I had to cull one of my 4 week old EE's today... She had a twisted beak and at first I was just going to let see how well she did with it as I was going to use her for laying only, but as she grew, i noticed she could not compete with the others for food as well and was becoming malnourished. It was pitiful. I was faced with the task of ending her poor quality of life, and that is just what I did today. She was a very sweet tempered little thing and my heart went out to her, but it was not in her best interest to allow her to suffer. I guess these sort of decisions are part of our job as caretakers of our flocks, not pleasant always, but merciful, at least. Hope this helps... [​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It looks like the top beak is overbiting the bottom? The picture is kind of hard to tell. You can trim the top beak back some. Remember that some big farms de-beak chickens and the top beak is taken way back. Do a search for cross beak and so forth here there are a lot of informative posts here. I would not say cull unless you have to or if you were looking at breeding.

Can you get a better picture without it being so fuzzy?

5. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    The bottom is moved to the side. the top seems like it is longer than normal, and curved down
    It has gotten much more exteme in the last few days

6. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    Im sure he will be reborn as a heathy big chicken. Ya know, I got into this chicken thing cause I wanted to be more self seficient so I planted a garden, bought some rabbits, and chickens. I even put solar panels on my roof. I planned this whole thing out like a professional and have had great success so far. I plan on eating the chickens, the eggs, and the rabbits. What I am getting at is this...... I have rabbits that I know I will eat so I dont name them. I have chickens that have a set date that they will be harvested, and I have accepted that but somehow in my head I have made the phoenix a pet. Sorry I dont have any more pics, I can take some tomorrow.

7. PrinceFarm

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

I know, this photo is not much better but you might be able to see how the top beak curves down.

8. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    It looks like the beak just needs to be trimmed. Some better pics might help.

9. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    I'm going thru the same thing with a 4 week old EE. I trimmed her beak once and it bled horribly. Please be careful if you do this. I used cornstarch to stop the bleeding and kept her separated until it stopped.
    It does seem to be getting worse, but she is eating wet food well and is happy. Every day I wonder if I'm doing the right thing, I hope I'll know if its time to cull her.

10. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    You can use a hot knife too, after you trim the beak, if its far back it will bleed, pressing a hot knife to it will stop the bleeding, im not sure how the chicken will feel about it though. You can trim the beak so it wont bleed though, maybe try that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by