To cull or not to cull?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenaddict, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    One of my hens hatched out the chunkiest chick i have ever seen. Upon inspecting it yesterday i realized it can't walk, the legs are straight out in front of it and it hops and scoots to get to where it needs to go. Is this my first case of straddle leg (sp)? If thats what it is i will be relieved, i can make a brace out of bandaids if not than i will have to cull my first chick [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I would try the braces first. It look like a healthy little thing otherwise. Best of luck.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I would brace it's legs first and if you can sit it in a tall glass so it's legs are underneath it. Give it a few days I've had them like that and did the brace and glass trick. The chick was fine and walking around a few days later.

4. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    yeah i think i will try the brace, just hoping its not too late. The chick hatched out yesterday morning and i didn't notice until this morning. It seems really healthy so far. I have been hatching 3 years now and this is the first time i have seen this.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Good luck and let us know how it goes. It usually works pretty well. It's a pretty little thing and I'm glad you are gonna work with it.[​IMG]

6. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Good news, i put the bandaid brace on his legs yesterday morning and now he can walk [​IMG] all is well with this little fuzzy butt. Thanks so much for the support [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by