To cull or not to cull...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoveMyFeatherBabies, Nov 22, 2011.

1. LoveMyFeatherBabies

LoveMyFeatherBabies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    Shelby, NC
    I am very sad about the current situation in my coop. I have two buff orps who are gorgeous ladies. However, they are the meanest girls in the coop. They chase everyone off from the food and I have seen them jump on some of the smaller hens. I have separated them from the rest of the hens before kind of like "time out" and here is the kicker....they didn't lay a single egg between the two of them in 4 days.

I have a hen that has been hurt by them in the chicken tractor for healing time so I can't move the buff orps. Since they aren't laying well, are bullying the other hens, and are nice and fat should I just go ahead and cull them?

Also, I have heard that you can skin the chickens instead of plucking them. Has anyone done this?

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    If you don’t have a rooster to keep the peace you may have to do the deed. I have never skinned my birds but it can be done. If you have a large pot to heat water in you can also pluck, it isn’t too bad and you keep the skin for flavor. Depending on how old your girls are there will be different ways to cook them for ideal tenderness. Stop by at the meat section we can all chime in. There are many people there a whole lot more experienced than I am. [​IMG]

3. LoveMyFeatherBabies

Nov 8, 2011
    Shelby, NC
    I do have a rooster but he doesn't seem to keep any peace...

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm in a similar situation. One of my ladies has been terrorizing the other hens and the ducks. She is now molting and it seems the tables have turned and she is getting picked on. I am waiting to see what happens when she finishes molting. I just don't see that it is fair to the others to have to live like that and if they aren't laying......

You can find some info on skinning in the meat bird section.

5. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    MEAN chicken/roo always taste better......

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. LoveMyFeatherBabies

Nov 8, 2011
    Shelby, NC
    I think I knew what needed to be done...just needed some encouragement [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We skinned all our meat birds this last time. You can't really roast them, but they're fine in the crock, or simmered. You could probably bake them, but you'd need to add fat, esp to the breast, to keep it from drying out.

9. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I would go ahead and cull them. But thats just me. I had a barred rock that started picking on my easter eggers. I tried everything you could think of to stop it but once she drew blood she would not stop. Our flock is much happier now without her and I haven't had anymore problems with feather picking or fighting.

10. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:[​IMG]

X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by