To cull or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carib Cabon, May 11, 2010.

1. Carib Cabon

Carib Cabon Hatching

May 11, 2010
    We have no chicken raising experience prior to these 8, 20-week old birds of mixed breed. They were all suppposed to be hens (layers), but one of the ameraucana's has recently taken to mounting everything with 2 legs and a comb so we're assuming he's male. Our interest is eggs not chicks, so the newly outed dude has to go. Question is how? I could swap him for a hen with the chix farm we got them from, but they don't really need another rooster, and will probably cull him anyway. I guess my hesitation is cause he's the best looking bird we have and he's just doing what he's wired to do, and I empathize. Although, I am getting the impression that culling unwanted cockrels is just part of the backyard chicken experience and I should just get on with it.

Feedback Welcomed!

2. Jody

Jody Songster

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    You could cull and eat.
    You could not cull and give him away
    You could post here on BYC classifieds section to see if anyone wants to trade, or buy, or take for free.
    You could get an ameraucana female and breed and hatch eggs so you'll have more chickens, or even sell eggs here on BYC and use the extra $$ for layer pellets, bedding, etc.

You could build a separate coop/run for him and keep him.

I don't have any roosters, but did once have a barred rock rooster.. Sadly, I gave him back, and I regret it cause he was such a beautiful rooster and a nice personality.... I hope soon to have another rooster as I wish to try some breeding/hatching.. Just gotta decide on which breed and calculate some management things out so I don't end up with cross breeds.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I would if you don't have another EE hen then I would get one and let them breed. They are such beautiful chickens. I have 5 EE's now and had a WGJ go broody and place some of the EE eggs under her. Unfortunatley, only one hatched. the only thing is that it will be either a Delaware daddy or a RSL/RIR daddy. it is a beautiful chick and cant wait to see if it is a roo. This is one roo I really want to have. The roos are absolutely gorgeous.

Don't cull it, keep it seperate but it deserves a chance.

4. Lensters

Lensters Songster

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Quote:Sadly culling cockerels is something that has to be done often. If he is from breeder stock and is really nicely built then he might be a stud roo prospect. But, chances are his purpose in life is to be somebody's dinner.

5. Carib Cabon

Carib Cabon Hatching

May 11, 2010
    He's supposed to be a she, so assuming he's not breeder stock, but he is good looking.

We're just not ready for breeding yet.

Anyone got a good presure cooker recipe?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you considered keeping him, since you seem to kind of like him?

You can still eat the eggs, you will never know the difference; and you won't get unwanted chicks unless a hen *happens* to go broody and then you deliberately *let* her hatch her clutch.

If you want to cook him, though, you certainly don't need a pressure cooker; he will not have much meat on him compared to storeboughten chicken, but it will be quite tasty, and not tough assuming you cook him properly. Most people would wait til 16 wks or so to process him, as that is around when the rapid gain of meat-weight starts to tail off.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

7. Carib Cabon

Carib Cabon Hatching

May 11, 2010
    Keeping him is certainly an option, my primary interest would be in maintaining a healthy productive flock of layers. He seems relatively calm, although his amorous efforts are fairly persistent and kinda rough. Maybe he’ll settle down and have a calming effect on the girls?

8. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    If you like him and don't have problems with when he will start crowing, I say keep him. My hens always seem lost when there isn't a dude around. Plus, he'll protect them, if a coon gets in, chances are, he'll go first giving his life to protect his flock. Also, he keep the hens from being too mean to eachother, he keeps them in line. Plus, roosters are just that cool IMO. You can always eat him later, if you eat him now, you can't get him back.

EDIT: just looked at your page with the picture of him on it. He's an awesome looking stud!

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I love my roo and have been thankful to him several times when he's saved the girls from predators.

10. hipeatall

hipeatall Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Roos are fun... if you can keep him... go for it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by