I posted about my hen with an upper respiratory ailment of some kind here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/620797/hen-with-upper-respiratory-disease. On the bright side, her wheezing is not as noticeable at rest, but any stress (ie handling) will get her going again. The "funky" smell was definitely feces stuck in her feathers (when I bathed her earlier this week I managed to flush an entire chicken turd out from under her feathers above her tail!) and has totally disappeared since her bath. And although she hasn't laid an egg since I brought her in from the coop (not surprised there) her comb and wattles are still nice and red. But I am still stuck between whether to try to treat her or to cull. The size of doxycycline that the vet wrote a script for is not a common size and is not cheap. I can get the next size up or down for less than $20, which is about what I am willing to spend on meds for her, however these pills come in capsule form and can't be halved to get the dose that is prescribed. I will probably call to see if she can get me a different dose as I know there is a fairly wide range and she chose the dose that was kind of in the middle, but I expect it to be a few hours before I hear back from her as they are very busy and down a person today. In the end, she will eventually be culled after she is done as a layer anyway so part of me thinks I should just do it now and get it over with, especially since even if she recovers with antibiotics if she has another respiratory episode I will not treat a second time. But then I feel a little guilty for wanting to "take the easy out" since she seems healthy other than the respiratory noise and it seems like something that she could recover from. I am also reluctant to take my flock down from 6 layers to 5, and while my sussex are not my best layers they aren't that bad that I wouldn't notice the difference either. Any thoughts anyone wants to share would be appreciated. I feel that for most of us, chickens share that strange limbo land between pet and purely livestock that makes this decision difficult (if my chickens were pets I would treat without hesitation, if they were purely livestock to me I would have culled her by now).