To cut or not to cut produce

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cherylcohen, Oct 19, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    We've had our 9 girls for about 2 months now, anxiously awaiting our 23 week and 17 week olds to start laying. I've been laboriously nightly chopping and preparing a treat meal for all but tonight because I had to change out their coop to pine shavings just threw in a whole cabbage.

They went crazy for it.

So my question is... I think to feed them mushy fruit, veggies, whatever I can get from farmers market leftovers or our dinners. Do I need to chop everything like I have been doing of just give it to them. I understand grapes must be halved?

Any experts out there on this?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I cut up my leftovers or what-nots, for the simple reason that there will be pieces for everyone and they won't all be fighting over one big thing.
    It just makes me feel better, I dont' think it makes much difference to them.

3. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    You can hang a cabbage from a cord, they'll be pecking it and it'll be swinging all over. It's like chicken tetherball.

4. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    what about baby carrots...I've got tons but they are hard, I've cooked them before for them but again always chopped them. What do you think?

5. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Is it ok to put whole grapes out there?

what about heads of lettuce, pears?

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I put whole fruits and vegetables out with no problem.

7. spammy

spammy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    When I hang a vegtable or fruit from my tether string I cut a piece of rind off so they can get to the good stuff. The uncut acorn squash hung untouched for 2 days, sliced off a piece of rind and it was gone in an hour. I found the perfect tether in my tackle box, a cheap fish stringer. Nylon, ring on one end, metal stake on the other. Loop it over something, put stake thru ring. pull tite and adjust height to head high. I dulled the tip of the spike. Push the spike into the center of the offering and watch them dance.

8. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love grapes I halve them up and if there big grapes I quarter them to make them go further. I know of nothing they like better than grapes.

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I can't imagine why you couldn't put in a whole grape! Like wildsky, I only cut up stuff if I'm worried that some won't get any--otherwise they will quickly deconstruct anything they have an interest in--that's half the fun for them!

10. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    oh yeah!
    they love to peck it all apart! what fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by