To debiraymond

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newbiechicken, Sep 12, 2008.

1. newbiechicken

newbiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Nebraska
    Eggs? I'm still not getting any - just the one random egg every few days, nothing regular. I can't tell you how disappointed I am...I'm giving up!

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Hang in there. They will start eventually.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh don't give up!!! For two days in a row we have had two eggs. Then my darling stepdaughter ate them. WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I am really hoping this is the start of a pattern. 2 a day would be wonderful!!

4. newbiechicken

newbiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Nebraska
    Are you still getting eggs regularly? We're not - just every now and then and it's been a month! I'm starting to wonder if I should have trusted the person who sold me these hens! I guess there's nothing I can do now because I don't have room for more chickens even if I got baby chicks...I guess I'm back to buying eggs at the store.

5. debilorrah

We have been holding out for eggs from the birds and not the store. Which of course makes us more anxious! And no, we are not getting them consistenly. We had two eggs per day for 2 days, then one per day for 2 days, then nothing, then nothing, and I haven't asked about today yet. I think that the hens we bought are actually all pullets and only 2 were of laying age and the rest are just starting to come into their own. The eggs we have had recently have been misshapen with a thin shell, which indicates a new layer to me. I think it's our BO. Right now we have 4 eggs in the fridge - hoping for more!!!

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    young birds will be very irregular in their laying. They will improve.

7. debilorrah

Good morning - got one more misshapen egg last night. Hmm. I really look forward to a regular laying schedule with these ladies.

8. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    i know how you feel. with my original 8 chickens i got a little over a month ago, three were supposed to be laying now, so I waited and waited, for two weeks got nothing, then one glorious egg, then nothing, then i had two hens laying approx every other day. the third supposed layer hasnt done anything, and i think shes an old dried up prune. so there have been a couple of days that i got two eggs, but nothing i could count on. Still pretty much one egg per day, not per chicken, with an occasional none, which, yes is better than none all the time, but still when you know they are supposed to be laying and they are holding out on you its frustrating, and makes you want to just quit. how old are your chickens?

9. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    debiraymond
    your post is so funny because i was going to say it in my post but forgot. Of the eggs that i was getting and trying to accumalate in my fridge so I could actually look at them my 2 stepdaughters were eating them the moment they came in the house. I was so mad, and my husband did his, sort of, snicker laugh, like 'what are you supposed to do with them' and insinuating that perhaps i was over reacting, BUT I WASNT, I AM MADDDDDDD!!!!! I want to look at my eggs...all the pretty colors, and I want there to be more than one when i look at them. SO, I bought more from the store, and wrote in big black letters on my eggs DO NOT EAT THESE EGGS. When, I start getting more eggs, i will certainly share, and let everyone eat them, but right now, they are like a piece of art to me and I dont want anyone touching them.
    Is that weird???? Maybe I need some help...

10. debilorrah

OH I so know how you feel! My stepdaughter ate about 6 eggs we had been saving for weekend breakfast. I could have stranggled her that day. Now we are up to five in the carton. I just hope they stay there and we can ALL have a good breakfast on Saturday!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by