To diet or not to diet

poultrygeist2

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
O my god. This is my first time meat chickens Cornish x. Thought I would be prepared especially since I found this site and all the people and great info that it provides. My dilemma is that my Cornish x are eating like theirs no tomorrow. They are close to 2 1/2 weeks old and couple pounds a piece. My fear is leg issues heart attacks etc. Do I just keep feeding them at will or limit them somewhat, when I limit them its like they attack when you move in to grab the feeder. I know that some people say.feed them continuous some people say limit all the way through and some say after 3 weeks go to 12 on 12 off for 1 week then back to 24 / 7. I can't imagine what would happen at a 24 / 7 clip. I expected them to eat but wow are you kiddingm I heading for a crash and burn scenario. Any reassurance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like they're right on track to me. They're usually butchered at 6-8 weeks and you're looking for an 8ish pound live bird then.
I've always just done on 12/off 12. My birds have come out at good weights and I've had minimal losses.

That seems like really fast growth to me, but this is my first year raising CX also. I've been keeping a weekly record of weight and daily feed. They do pound down the food, and they definitely go into the feeding frenzy when "THE HAND" appears from above with food. I've been feeding mine twice a day as we're gone all day so they do run out during the day and also at night, but they seem to be growing fast and are very active and healthy. Here are my numbers:

Week 2 9 oz average wt on 5 lb feed/day divided into 2 meals
Week 3 1 lb 5 oz 7.5 lb
Week 4 2 lb 4 oz 10 lb Moved them outside
Week 5 3 lb 7 oz 12 lb
Week 6 4 lb 13 oz 14 lb
Week 7 6 lb 18 lb

I feel like I'm feeding them alot, but they seem to be on track to get to 8-9 lb by 9 weeks which was my goal, then we'll process. I think if I had food available to them for 12 hours they'd eat themselves into a stupor. There is a publication online from uky.edu titled "How much will my chickens eat" that shows feed amounts for age/weights, but I'm feeding more and are growing faster than their chart shows.

Good luck!

Forgot to mention that we're raising 38 CX's for all that feed. It's going to be a busy processing weekend!

Thx anorwood as I said I'm also first timer. Just had one go down noticed it was staying.back from the rest eventually made it over to the food but was being bullied out so removed her and put her in her own area with heat lamp at.night. she's still eating and drinking on her own but struggles to get around favoring her.right.leg side thinking she may have gotten trampled? Keep you posted thx for.the numbers.and I'm gonna go to 12 on 12 off for the remainder.

Thx anorwood as I said I'm also first timer. Just had one go down noticed it was staying.back from the rest eventually made it over to the food but was being bullied out so removed her and put her in her own area with heat lamp at.night. she's still eating and drinking on her own but struggles to get around favoring her.right.leg side thinking she may have gotten trampled? Keep you posted thx for.the numbers.and I'm gonna go to 12 on 12 off for the remainder.
How old is she? You might just want to process her early.

She's 3 weeks old not as big as the others shows no sign of any sickness just can't stand and walk around. Looks perky eats and drinks but not as much as the others. I'd say she's probably couple pounds. Weirdest thing can't figure it out.

She seems to be getting up more and moving around on her own without being nudged. Things are looking up still limping badly but no evidence of brocken bones. Still.eating and drinking not smuch as others and is behind on weight.

Back
Top Bottom