To Dust Bath or not to Dust Bath.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haddiemoo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. haddiemoo

haddiemoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    I have not seen my 3 hens take a dust bath yet. I have had them now for about four weeks and I see others in this forum talk about this but have not seen mine do it yet. I had regular yard dirt in their coop for the first 3 weeks that I had them and now I have put in a mixture of play sand/paving sand/regular dirt. Should I notice them taking this dust bath or do I even need to worry about this?

2. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Don't worry if you have not seen them take a dust bath...it is natural for them and will happen in time... I am amazed at how my chickens just layer on the dirt and then lay there like they are dead or something...they love it...dust baths and sunbathing are two of their favorite things.

3. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't even have a dust bath in my coop. My ladies prefer to destroy my flowerbeds instead.
    [​IMG]

4. saltnprepper

saltnprepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I just found two of my 10 week pullets having a grand ole time rolling around in the pine shavings. They were cooing and fluffing and scratching around. It was the funniest thing.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    My girls don't have a designated dust bath area. The love to scratch it up themselves. They use pine shavings and mulch. Sometimes I see them partying in the gravel driveway. I place a small square hay bale in the center of the coop and it takes them a few days to scratch it all over the place and roll around in it.

6. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Oh they'll discover the joy soon enough! Then your landscaping will look like a moonscape with all sorts of ankle turning craters! [​IMG]

7. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Yes, I suggest looking around in any "dirty" spots of your yard for those craters. Mine have torn up the ground under the trailers and such out back. I saw my Leghorn out there yesterday doing the roly poly, after which she gave me the :D face.

8. TabbyChickens

TabbyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Do they need dirt for dust baths, or can they bathe in sand?

9. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    They dust in about anything it seems. I have holes out back, they will dust bathe in the pine shavings in the coop but their favorite place right now is under the back deck. They will find places to bathe.

10. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I rarely catch mine dust bathing, but I know they do it. They have a couple spots that they like to use, a couple spots they dug in the yard, one right up against our patio, under our bushes next to the house, and a couple spots in the brush at the edge of our woods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by