To Eat or Not to Eat...Settling the Matter by Asking the Experts

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
I was going to post this as a poll, but I do not see a way to post multiple poll questions. I want to ask your opinion about foods that various chicken "sites" have differing answers about regarding whether chickens can eat these foods or not.

Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Lima Beans (some say no, even if cooked)
Eggplant
Kale
Potatoes (cooked)
Citrus
Okra

From what I understand raw potatoes can be fed to chickens, as long as the potato is not green. A green color means the potato contains solanine, which is toxic to chickens.
Also, beans including lima beans are ok to feed to chickens as long as they are well-cooked. Raw beans of any variety should Never be fed to chickens, as raw beans contain phytohaemagglutinin, which is very poisonous to chickens.

They can eat all food the guestion is ...will they lol. I personally wouldnt give kale or spinach as it depletes a hens calcium. None of mine would eat anything off that list lol
How does kale deplete a hen's calcium, what study are you looking at? Kale is actually loaded with calcium (amongst other good things) and probably one of the best leafy greens you can give to your chickens.

I was going to post this as a poll, but I do not see a way to post multiple poll questions. I want to ask your opinion about foods that various chicken "sites" have differing answers about regarding whether chickens can eat these foods or not.

Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Lima Beans (some say no, even if cooked)
Eggplant
Kale
Potatoes (cooked)
Citrus
Okra
The only items on your list that I give to my chickens:

Broccoli (at least once a week)
Brussel Sprouts (occasionally)
Cabbage (at least once a week)
Kale (I feed em tons of this)
Potatoes (peeled, cooked and mashed - occasionally)

I stay away from giving beans and citrus. I don't eat okra so neither do my chickens (lol).
With eggplant, much like tomatoes, you have to make sure you remove all leaves and pieces of stem because that part of the plant is toxic - not just to chickens but to humans as well.

The only items on your list that I give to my chickens:

Broccoli (at least once a week)
Brussel Sprouts (occasionally)
Cabbage (at least once a week)
Kale (I feed em tons of this)
Potatoes (peeled, cooked and mashed - occasionally)

I stay away from giving beans and citrus. I don't eat okra so neither do my chickens (lol).
With eggplant, much like tomatoes, you have to make sure you remove all leaves and pieces of stem because that part of the plant is toxic - not just to chickens but to humans as well.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom