To eat or toss?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandolinmama, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    My kids found two places in our barn where some hens had been hiding their eggs. Two large nests with about 25 eggs in each. I have no idea how long they've been laying there. I just thought production might have been down for the winter.

Do I risk eating them? Do I chuck them? How can I determin if they're "good" or not?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I guess you can crack them open to check to see if they are ok

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Personally, I would just chuck them to be safe. JMO

4. harrisheathfarm

harrisheathfarm New Egg

Feb 23, 2008
    Altoona, FL
    Oh I had that happen too! But I live in a warm climate, I chucked them! Destroyed the area where the nest was, kept them inside for two days so they'd forget! But I still have to go around and check areas, because they are all not laying! Eggs could keep for two weeks... but if they're in the heat, I sure wouldn't take a chance.

The other thing you could do is open them one at a time and see if they smell??? Make a bunch of quiches and freeze them!! hate to see those eggs go to waste!

Someone else may have better advice....

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Get a good sized bowl, fill it with cold water, put the eggs in. If they float toss them, if they sink they are good to eat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by