to eat the eggs or not???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spell, Jul 19, 2010.

1. spell

spell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    we have recently discovered that the hens have worms...
    i bought the meds (thanks to the info on byc) and will treat them starting today.
    but the question is should we eat the 2 dozen eggs in the fridge or throw them out.

i know that we will have to dump eggs once we start the meds but what about the ones we have that are un-medicated BUT came from wormy hens?

also, can someone tell me how long to dump eggs after treating hens with the ivermectin?
    i'm doing the wazine pretreatment with ivermectin follow up as described by (i think) threehorses.

thanks for you thoughts! i've really learned so much from the conversations on here -- what a valuable resource.

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm just getting ready to do the Ivermectin also... I was told on BYC to not eat the eggs for 2 weeks... but also told to treat again after 10-14 days... so, don't eat the eggs for a whole month ? [​IMG] I was also told that the eggs could be cooked well/boiled and be fed back to the girls, so at least they are not totally wasted. [​IMG] As far as eggs from wormy hens, I would always crack your egg in a bowl and see if you can seen anything and would fully cook any eggs used ? [​IMG] I will be following the post to find out these things also.

3. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I don't think the worms will affect the eggs themselves. But I don't know about the withdrawal time for dewormers.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Theoretically, because of how a hens reproductive system works, there SHOULDN'T be worms in the eggs...however, IF the worm load is high it IS a possibility that some have migrated from the colon up into the reproductive tract. If your birds have a heavy parasite load, I'd chuck the eggs just for eww factor. It is a 2 week withdrawl period for Ivermectin. If you chop up the eggs and feed them back to the birds, you are essentially "redosing" them, and thusly starting the withdrawl time over from scratch.

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    On the back of our wormer it says not to eat the eggs for a while after you worm them (Not sure exactly how long it said) I don't know if the worms themselves would effect the eggs [​IMG] but I wouldnt eat the eggs after you worm them.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    mmaddie's mom :

I'm just getting ready to do the Ivermectin also... I was told on BYC to not eat the eggs for 2 weeks... but also told to treat again after 10-14 days... so, don't eat the eggs for a whole month ? [​IMG] I was also told that the eggs could be cooked well/boiled and be fed back to the girls, so at least they are not totally wasted. [​IMG] As far as eggs from wormy hens, I would always crack your egg in a bowl and see if you can seen anything and would fully cook any eggs used ? [​IMG] I will be following the post to find out these things also.

Do not feed the eggs to your chickens or other animals, due to the fact that you are just giving the de-wormer back to them in the eggs this is why you don't eat the eggs.​

7. spell

spell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    thanks guys--
    we would really like to keep the eggs we have but, i thought they might should be dumped (ewww factor).
    dh had me pretty convinced that they would be ok and now you guys do too....we'll eat the ones we have and dump the ones we get for the next 2 weeks.
    thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by