To enclose or not to enclose?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UPgirlRockHound, Jan 21, 2008.

1. UPgirlRockHound

UPgirlRockHound Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2008
    hours from nowhere
    I live in northern michigan and we have 4 achers of land about 2 achers are not wooded. I live in a small town and I have a dog ,and two cats. I want to have 10 chickens and I
    was wondering weather I should just have a fense or a fense with a cover over the outside portion of my coop. or if I
    should just let my chickens run around in my yard?[​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    What kind of dog?

3. UPgirlRockHound

Jan 20, 2008
    hours from nowhere
    my dog is a boxer lab mix well he isnt mine he is my brothers

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    He might kill your chickens.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  5. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    My suggestion would be to do both. Create a fenced in area for them most of the time, then let them free range when you're around to keep an eye on things. I do both, although for a while I was just turning them out - until our resident bobcat decided that chicken was what's for dinner! They don't like it much, but it's safer for them. Unfortunately, just about every type of predator around thinks chicken is very tasty - hawks, coyotes, racoons, bobcats, bears, weasels, dogs - and if not your dog, then it's very likely the neighbors dog will. You will definitely want to create a safe place for them unless you don't mind losing some and needing to replace them often. I don't mean to sound discouraging, just realistic.
    Good luck,
    Liz

6. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I would make a run, and free range them when you can supervize.
    I had mine running around the yard ( 5 acres) and when fall came they started crossing the street to the nieghbors field. I would come home to a dead chicken in the road. After 4-5 dead chickens I penned them up.

Widsky - Where O where might she might obtain this Borzoi from?

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:What Borzoi? [​IMG]

8. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    LOL

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The good thing about an enclosed run is it means you don't have to be home punctually at dusk to close them in, like if you are going out for the evening.

BTW does one learn to become a "flim" maker by first becoming a "flam" maker? [​IMG]

Pat

10. UPgirlRockHound

Jan 20, 2008
    hours from nowhere
    thanks for all of the replies and the info i really really appericate it:D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by