To fool a broody- Or... can chickens count?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Dec 14, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Shorty the silkie is trying to go broody. Ackkk!!! Fifi the silkie is currently hatching out chicks. There are a couple of eggs I put under her late. Can I just put them under Shorty? Will that fool her into thinking she's been sitting on them for 21 days? I don't want to harm the eggs/chicks in any way, but gosh it'd be swell to not have to break another darn silkie broody.

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

hmmm, that is a tough one, ive never tried it with my silkies, however a xbred red hen i once had accepted some chicks after sitting for only 2 days.
    Try it and watch her carefully!!
    good luck

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    How much later did you put those under Fifi?

Fifi's going to be getting up within the next 24 hours and if those are going to be later than that, you probably would be best to give them to Shorty and hope for the best.

My first 2 broodies starting laying again and their chicks are only 4 weeks old - wonder how long before they're broody again [​IMG]

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG] Akkk! No more broody silkies! They must lay off until spring. It's too dang cold out there to keep hatching out chicks!

I put five under her on the first day, one the next day and one the next. If Feefs starts moving around I'll tuck them up under Shorty. Right now she's glued to the nest.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Silly me, when I bought Silkies I was told they had a "tendency towards broodiness." I interpreted this to mean that they laid eggs and once in a while would go broody. After having Silkies, I have determined they lay just a few eggs between broody cycles. [​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    not mine, I have more of the laying type silkie... [​IMG]

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Did you mark the dates on the eggs? Those last 2 eggs probably won't hatch before Feefs gets off the nest with the first ones that hatch. If you know which ones they are, you'd do better to move them to the 2nd hen now. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best. she may accept them, she may not. If not, and you discover this while they're still alive, you might be able keep them warm for the rest of the day. Then give them to Feefs. If you slip them under her at night after she's settled in with her other babies, you might get away with it.

It's better to place the eggs all at once, so they hatch within the same 24 hour period. Or at least mark them with the date you placed them so you know which ones to move if you get a 2nd broody.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by