to frig or not to frig

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bow-chicka-bow-bow, Aug 3, 2011.

1. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    So, out of my 8 laides, 1 has started laying eggs. [​IMG] She is now laying 1 a day. I had asked earlier about how long you can keep your eggs at room temp, and I believe the general concensus was a couple weeks. Some mentioned refrigerated for several weeks also. So, when you gather your eggs, do you keep them on the counter at room temp or do you go ahead and put them in the frig? I've got a bowl with some Easter basket grass in it and I just put the egg in the bowl when I come in with it. They are quite cute in their bowl. [​IMG] So, what is the prefered way to store them, on the counter at room temp or in the frig?

2. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I sale my eggs, so they go into the refrigerator immediately. If they are just for you, I would stick them in a bowl like you are doing. I blew out a bowl full of my prettiest eggs, so I still get to have a cute bowl of "eggs". [​IMG]

3. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Thought I would post the pics I just took of our little "harvest". I think they look quite cute in their special bowl. Looks are deceiving, because the eggs are still on the small size, but I'm sure will get larger with time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I keep them on the counter for a few weeks looking pretty like what you have there. This is good ONLY if they are not washed. Once washed, into the fridge they go. That said, I did a little experiment once and eggs that were unwashed in the refrigerator for 8 months were still edible.

I like your user name! We used to live near Fuquay, in Williow Springs. [​IMG]

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Eggs are good thru 6 months if never put in frig. But in the colder months i put them in.

6. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    When you wash them do they go bad faster? Super cute little egg reservoir you've got btw!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Very interesting reading all the advice about the eggs and then I come to your post and see your profile pic.... is that a SNAKE in your nest box eating eggs!?!?!?!! ACK!!

8. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    Quote:Very interesting reading all the advice about the eggs and then I come to your post and see your profile pic.... is that a SNAKE in your nest box eating eggs!?!?!?!! ACK!!

Lol no, I keep snakes as well. I don't think it would be my esteemed avatar if it did any damage to my little eggies.

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

oh... okay. [​IMG] I was freaking out over you finding a snake eating eggs in your nesting box! Whew. Glad he's a pet. [​IMG]

10. EGGRI-LA

EGGRI-LA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    The coating on the eggs, bloom, is a natural bacteria shield. Grandma never washed them and kept them on the counter as long as I can remember.
    It will wash off with water and it is best to refrigerate if you need to "clean " the eggs.
    As far as commercial egg wash products, My chickens have never put anything on an egg that didn't come off with plain water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by