To Get a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peep-Chicken, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have 15 pullets/hens. Planning to sell Atleast three. I have a coop that is 4.10ftx5.5ftx6ft(ish). I also have a run that is 5ftx8ftx12ft(ish). We let everyone free range in the evening. We have a few bantams.

Is this enough space to keep a rooster without it hurting the girls?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think you are running out of room, not just for a rooster, but I think I would be reducing my flock. I have a very similar size set up, and through trial and error, I can run 10-12 full grown birds through the winter. I do run a rooster in my flock. More than that number of birds and there is a tension in the flock, they are just too crowded. Over crowding leads to lots of problems. My set up has multiple roosts inside and out, shade, in the winter a sun room.

Now in the summer time, I add chicks and get quite a bit above that number. However, the days are long and the nights are short. I free range most days for most of the day. But as winter comes on, the nights get long and the days get short, so they are spending HOURS more in the coop on the roost each day. By mid September, I start reducing my flock, and I need to be way close to that number 10-12 by the end of October.

If you have pullets, they are going to be getting bigger, I think you need to seriously reduce your numbers.

3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Ok thank you. How many should be in this area? Right now, there is 8 in this coop, the others are with mu hen luna who is still with her chicks.

4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My*

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think you want your total head count to be under 12 in the set up you described. 12 might be pushing it.

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Ok thank you. I will sell all the chicks, then I will have 9 chickens ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by