to get chickens to sit on eggs

allaboutfeathers

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
My boyfriend made some nests. He confined the chickens inside the nests. They cannot get out, he thinks this will make chickens get broody. Will this work?

No. And it's cruel, besides.

Most hatchery chicken breeds have had the "broodiness" bred out of them, because it interferes with egg production. Broodiness is a hormonal condition, and if the hen doesn't have that hormonal attribute in her, she will never go broody.

People just naturally believe ALL hens will set on eggs and hatch out chicks. This is not true. Some breeds are known for being more likely to go broody, but that doesn't mean a particular hen of that breed will do so. Some breeds one would never suspect would be broody can have the occasional hen which will surprise everyone and go broody.

A hen may go broody once, and never again, or do it over and over again.

You just have to wait until - or IF - a hen goes broody before she will attempt to hatch eggs. Otherwise, they just lay the eggs and leave the nest.

Please let your hens out of their nest boxes. Thanks!

Nope, I have only one hen that ever went broody and it was my EE bantam. I am not sure if she will go broody again this year or not. If she does I will let her try and hatch a few eggs. Let you chickens out of the nest boxes if they go broody they will on their own time. How old are your chickens sometimes it depends on age, breed

You're not going to get anything out of that other than some upset hens and trampled eggs. Please, please, let those girls out. And please get your boyfriend some good chicken books to read, because it sounds like he has a lot to learn.

Back
Top Bottom