To get or NOT to get a Male???!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bananarose24, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Bananarose24

Bananarose24 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    A Big debate for my husband and I right now.. Whether or not to get a Male Muscovy??
    We are going to get more ducks this Sunday, at least 2-3 more females (we have 2), and MAYBE a male.. [​IMG]

But, the idea of having babies is both exciting and scary to me. I know NOTHING about what they need to incubate their babies, or to raise them, how we need to care for them, etc.. I know NOTHING about it.. [​IMG]

So... HELP! [​IMG]
    I know they dont Have to have babies, but, how likely is it.. how do we know if there are babies in the eggs.. I feel kind of stupid asking, but, I just dont really know.. HELP! [​IMG]

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    I'd get a male Muscovy for sure. Ours is a real gentleman, a nice sweet guy, though we've heard bad stories from other people... As far as the eggs go, I will educate you on our process... Let the drakes and ducks run around together.... have lots of hiding places... and be surprised around a month after Momma starts setting! Voila! Babies! Simple as that! ( At least for us!) We had 18 babies from one broody!! Oh, on an aside, since Momma decides to go hide somewhere, whenever she wants, you won't know exactly when she starts laying...
    [​IMG] But hey, babies are babies! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  3. Bananarose24

Bananarose24 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I forgot to mention, that our ducks live in a 12x6 enclosure due to an attack earlier this week..
    Inside they have a Dog Igloo we keep them in at night, they get locked inside for extra safety..

So, come baby makin time, they will not have free roam of the yard.. in that case, what do they require inside the enclosure to roost/nest.. ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by