to hang or not to hang?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by annie3001, Oct 12, 2009.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    heres my question:
    i have this clear plastic that i would like to hang in between the main coop and their run ( so i cant remember what its called) but anyways, i thought it would be a good idear especially in the winter, when they want to go out, to kinda keep the draft out of their main coop, but allow them to come and go.
    sooo i stapled it on and cut strips. well they hate it. i mean really i think there scared of the noise or because its different. i had to pick one up and introduce her to it and get her in the main coop. this was not easy at all.
    so once they were all in, now they are angry and made a strange new chicken sound (as id like to call it)[​IMG]
    they eventaully came out, but will they go back in okay?
    was this a good idear? does anyone else do this? i was thinking about the draft for them, helping them out, and they are all mad at me . ugh!
    any suggestions? thanks in advance!!

p.s. its a had plastic, but you can get thru it. its actually vapor barrior for walls and insulation

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    we are using tin..... DH works @ a lumber yard.... they sell tin and when it comes in they have 'cover pieces' or whatver they call them. I don't know for sure what your set up is but below is a picture of what we are doing. Sometimes if the 'cover' pieces of tin are marred up too bad, they may give them to you. we will be putting another piece on for height to stop the drifts and stuff....

[​IMG]

you can see the white in the background, that's the other piece of tin... it's quiet and doesn't move so they don't notice it. We will remove in come spring again. I don't know if this will help you......

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Hi Annie - I'm thinking of doing this in my pop door as well. I've heard other say that they tack a few of the flaps back until the chooks get used to it. They're just, well, chicken I guess.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, you can get chickens to go through that, but most of them need to be gradually trained to it. Either tack it most of the way open for a few days or weeks, then gradually tack it back less once or twice a week til it's hanging properly; or if it's separate strips, hang only one strip at first (not right in the middle of the doorway) then add a single strip once or twice a week as they get used to it, til you have the full setup.

Chickens are not big on change, they are best at adapting when changes are slow enough that they can forget that things were different before [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I was browsing in the breed page and came across this link to another BYC member's website.

http://www.silverpulletpoultry.net/howiraisechickens.htm

Scroll down to the pictures of the coop. See the chicken chute coming down from the pop door?

I thought this was a neat idea. These coops are in Colorado where it's plenty cold in the winter, and these chicken chutes look like a great way to be able to keep your pop doors open without letting cold wind blow into your coop.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hi ,
    thanks for the quick reply, although i couldnt tell from your pic.
    i am talking about the area that the chickens go thru, perhaps thats what your telling me too? not sure. because tin is hard, and i cant see chickens going thru that? [​IMG]

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    they will get used to it. Just tack up one strip at a time a few days apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by