To hatch or not to hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dianneS, Jan 27, 2010.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm debating setting some eggs in the bator, but not sure if I should or not? My girls seem to be laying in full-force once again. I only have a few full sized hens, most of mine are bantams. I really want some more full sized egg layers and I've collected a few huge eggs from my EE girls and my one Brahma hen who lays HUGE brown eggs. I'd like to see what I get from a EE/Brahma cross too!

The last time I hatched I ended up with all cockerels and only two hens though!! The other issue is that I washed three of the eggs I would like to set (before I had considered hatching at all) will washing them do anything to them that they may not hatch? I could continue to collect more eggs... I just don't want to end up with a bunch of roosters again! Sometimes I think ordering day-olds is better since I can choose the sex. But then again, hatching is fun! What to do??

2. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Maybe just hatch a few and order some girls...this way you get the best of both worlds! Maybe you could even time it so your day old chicks arrive when your eggs are due to hatch this way your hen could just adopt some more babies! Don't try to hatch the ones that you washed! Bacteria can travel through the shell once it's been washed and it's just NOT good! Collect some fresh ones and give it a go! There's always craiglist or BYC people who will happily take a roo boy! Blessings,Keri Sorry, I just realized that you were wanting to use the bator not a hen...same idea! DON'T incubate washed eggs!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  3. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Okay, I won't incubate washed eggs. I did collect a few more today and I'm thinking of firing up the bator! I can collect a few more over the next couple of days!

4. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

You're asking THIS bunch on whether to incubate or not!!?!???!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh! It is to laff!!! Haaaahaaahaaa!!! *wanders off, wiping tears of extreme amusement aside**

**Comes back to add**
    Sorry..that was rude of me...YES! [​IMG] Incubate! The more in your coop the merrier! Besides, you don't want to wait too long, or your roo may become too old to be up to the task. Better to have a robust flock with lots of breeding options. Even better yet if those numbers were the result of eggs you didn't have to lay out good money to get. [​IMG]

5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am afraid I am of no help - I am having the same issue. Last year I hatched for MONTHS! Now I just want them girls to hatch their own! LOL! But I *might* hatch some Jerseys, but that's it. I am afraid of getting roosters again - what a pain to get rid of them.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I think I may hatch a few and then order some Black Copper Maran chicks next month!!

7. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I am hatching now~! lol 1 set of 4 in the hatcher due today!

I have 2 more sets in the incubator...and am considering a setting another batch.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by