To Hatch or Not to Hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lillahimed, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Lillahimed

Lillahimed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2013
    Sacramento
    Hi! I am reasonably new to chickens (baby sit my friend's hens from time to time) and was wondering if it is best to start out with 1 day old chicks or hatching eggs. The eggs would be picked up locally not shipped :) Thanks for any input!

1 person likes this.
  2. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    That depends. Do you want instant results? Do you want to see them hatch? If you get chicks you know they are alive. Are you going to hatch them or let your hen do it? If you get eggs they may or maynot hatch. A lot of people like myself get a lot of plesure out of seeing my hen hatch and care for the chicks. This all boils down to your personal choice.

3. Lillahimed

Aug 14, 2013
    Sacramento
    I want to allow the hen to hatch and raise the chicks :) That being said I also find incubation fascinating to watch. So I'll probably partake in a little of both.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The big difference is when you order day old chicks, you control the gender. Yes, the occasional roo slips in, but overall you get females. When you hatch, you get average 50% roosters. You need a plan in place for those birds, please don't incubate a bunch of eggs then be on here in a few months crying because you have a bunch of roosters you can't keep and can't bear to get rid of. We see that way too often!

5. Lillahimed

Aug 14, 2013
    Sacramento
    I already have that plan :) I have some friends with a flock who enjoy roosters. I like them too, but will only be able to have 1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by