To have pine shavings or not???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by H2Momma, Nov 3, 2011.

1. H2Momma

H2Momma Out Of The Brooder

Here is a pic of my new coop my hubby and son built me [​IMG]! We've left the back wall off during the extreme heat this summer and plan on building a removable wall this fall. As of right now they have dirt in thier run and really soft dirt (from them scratching) in the coop itself. My question is, should I plan on putting bedding (pine shavings) in thier coop this winter? I really like how easy it is just to rake out the poo-poo's once a week vs. the thought of stripping out bedding, but I do want my girls warm and happy! Any advice? PS We live in N. Texas where it does get cold, but not like up north. Thanks for your input!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

What about sand? It doesn't look like you have any way to keep shavings in and keep them from blowing away, either. So, I'd vote for really nice play sand. Put it down nice and thick and then just rake that out when you need to. It will drain nice and keep it from becoming too wet or muddy. That's my vote. I'm using pine shavings, but I have a fully enclosed coop that was build for deep litter. BTW, I think your coop is cute and perfect for your zone. [​IMG]

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I think I would go with sand. I have one similar and I used Pine mulch over sand. After about 6 months it breaks down and I just add some more.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

yes I vote sand too. Sand is not warm but it will keep them dryer. [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

No advice, but I like your coop.

6. H2Momma

H2Momma Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for all the input...... I had never even thought about sand. What a great idea!!! Glad every likes my set up, I still want to do alot to it, like add a covered front porch, decorations on the front, chicken cam, automatic waterer... etc! Guess I gotta do a lot of sweet talking to my men!!

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Wow, Love the coop. Great idea using cedar fence boards as siding......you stole my idea...I thought I invented it. Seriously, love the look. Here is my newest coop using the same principle of fence boards horizontally for siding.
    Erik

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by