to heat lamp or not to heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by canterlopes, Apr 6, 2018.

1. canterlopes

canterlopes In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2018
    Elberta, UT
    So I have 5 ducklings and a goslings that are around 3 weeks old. As much as I would love to keep them in my house forever it's just not an option anymore. One of my idiot dogs killed one of our chickens last week (they were free ranging in the yard and he was let out by a neighbor kid that apparently was raised in a barn and never closes the door all the way when he comes over the play) and doggo is showing way too much interest in the babies for my liking. I have rigged up a barrier between the rest of the house and the babies but doggo is crafty and sly and I just don't trust him 100% while we are at work or sleeping. ANYWAY, I decided it's time for the babies to get evicted from the house and built out a section in my chicken coop as a temporary brooder 2.0 while I work on building their permanent duck palace this weekend. So, I live in Utah and the weather has been pretty nice here. We are in the mid to high 60's during the day and mid to high 40's at night. Finally my question..... Should I put a heat lamp in brooder 2.0 for a few days so they can adjust to the temp a little better or am I being that over protective mom and worrying about nothing. I know ducklings are much more hardy than chicks, I just don't want to harm them or have them get too cold. Side note: The coop is an 8'x8' fully enclosed A-frame (It has a man door, chicken door, and window that are all closed at night so no drafts will be blowing, though I did not insulate the coop) The ducklings and gosling have a about a 3'x8' section of the coop with lots of straw.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    A heat lamp is on the dangerous side as to fire hazard. If you had a heating pad, it would be a better option. I do not know about when ducks feather out. Baby chicks usually take up to 8 weeks. It is easiest to know if they need heat by watching their behavior. If you did provide a heat lamp(after taking all the fire preventive measures) and noticed they are hanging underneath , that tells you they need warmth.
    WISHING YOU BEST...........and :welcome

Miss Lydia and blayt90 like this.
  3. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    If they were mine, I wouldn’t worry about a heat lamp since it’s pretty decent outside and there are 5 of them to keep each other warm. They are pretty hardy. As long as you can keep them out of the wind. But that’s just me.

chickens really likes this.
  4. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    I use a heat light on mine now cuz they are 4 days old, but when they go outside they will not have a heat light. What previous members said it is a fire hazard. also they will have other ducklings to keep them warm. Best of luck!!!!

cavemanrich likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: