to heat or not to heat...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rooneytune, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    Simple question... how can I tell if my chicken are warm enough? I feel like my coop has good ventilation, but how do I know if they are ok with the temps? I am in WA so it is getting frosty at night but not like Alaska cold or anything....

2. Hwlchickmama

Hwlchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    I have the same problem in NJ ... Just put more insulation in this weekend they seem to b happy and their lil chicken feets are warm n they aren't huddled together but its my 1st.winter so I'm just going w/ the flow... I'm more worried about the draft.from the chicken door [​IMG]

3. debbie_nibbles

debbie_nibbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Port Angeles, Wa
    I read not to heat, it will cause condensation on them then if it freezes they will get frost bitten. I am putting a scratch room addition on our coop. Also keep well ventilated, closing up the coop also causes the gas to build up. I'm also in Washington and never had a problem with them in winter [​IMG]

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I cut a heavyish plastic pet door into strips and hung it over the pop door opening. That way the pop door can pretty much stay open all winter except for the coldest days. If you start with a ligher plastic strip the chickens will learn they can eventually get through it, or you can pin up the middle strips at first and lower them one by one as they get used to going through.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some add heat...some don't...personal choice. With proper food and liquid water available, and a draft free coop, your chickens will make it through the winter without supplemental heat.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Like teach... said adding supplemental heat is a choice. Ask questions and google for information.

It is neither good nor bad. There are a lot of misconceptions about it.

how do I know if they are ok with the temps? I am in WA so it is getting frosty at night but not like Alaska cold or anything....

Temps in Tacoma should not pose a threat to your chickens, but there is more to keeping chickens alive and healthy through the winter than just temperatures. We live in a cold wet climate, unlike the Alaska, that you mention. I lived in Alaska, in fact I'm from there. The winters are very dry, virtually no humidity. It might not be for the best to think that you should raise your chickens like you are in Alaska, Florida, Arizona etc. All are very different climates with different requirements.
    Is your coop dry? How many birds do you have in what sized coop? How is the ventilation? Is is more drafty, rather than ventilation? + many other factors.

Imp-Best of luck

btw-
    how do I know if they are ok with the temps?

Birds will fluff up their feathers when they are cold.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by