to heck with the gas bill I am freezing!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AHappychick, Feb 5, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I dont know how you all do it in colder climates and loosing power for days. I just cranked my heat up to 71 and I dont care about the concequences!!! I am so cold I just cant seem to get warm. I am in my long johns under my clothes and still freezing. Really where the heck is global warming????? Or spring???? My chooks seem to hate it too only got one egg this morning. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Take a hot bath - that will do it! I am the heater Nazi at home. Everyone turns it and I go out and turn it down - our gas bill last month was $190!!!!

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I know what you mean. I have the fireplace going right now. The warmth feels so good. Im always cold, even when its 72 in the house. I get it up to 80 with the fireplace. [​IMG]

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Layers, lots of layers.... not the poultry kind either..lol.

Hot drinks help as well. I find if I can keep my toes toasty it helps a lot. I spend all winter wearing thermal hunting socks and slippers over that. I also keep a lap quilt on the sofa in case I get a chill. I don't take the cold as well as I use to.

I am ready for the arctic weather to be over though...

Best of luck !!! [​IMG]

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Honey I'm the same way... I can't afford our electric bill this month it was $257!!! I just HAVE to keep it at 72, and I'm still cold.

We replaced all the latches on the windows to help, and I had to shove a towel up the kitchen oven vent because air was coming in. I can't deal with another cold month!!!!! ARGH!!!!

I even bought a heated blanket at Kohl's the other day... shhhhh... hubby don't know about that one. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's pretty chilly out here too since it still gets to freezing at night! I'm jealous of the fish because they have a heater to keep them at 72 for the winter, while we humans have to do the 66 or lower thing...

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yappy, I would take a bath but I hate to get wet LOL LOL really I do, I mean I shower and all but only because I have to. I have really long hair as well so getting it wet is the worst and I dont have a hair dryer because evertime I would try to use one I would get my hair sucked in and ripped out by the fan. If it was not for having a ds I would start to wonder if I was really a girl. I wish I could say my gas bill was under $200 my house is a modern contemporary with HUGE dead light windown (great for starting seeds though and gardening) and a beast at loosing heat even with all of the improvements I have made. This spring I am building an appleseed converter and then I am gonna keep my housr at 75 next year all winter long!!!

I think I am gonna go did out my snowboarding clothes and put them on as well.

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:$257? I envy you!

Ours was $600 last month! Gas/electric combined. We keep the heat at 60 or below.

9. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Quote:About the blanket...I won't tell if you don't. I have one too. [​IMG]

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I was actually excited when I got my electric bill this past month and it was only $245. The house we rented prior to moving in here....every December and January the bill was almost $500 [​IMG] So I was thrilled.

I am the freeze monkey in the house...the smallest one and I want it cold. (Thank menopause for that) If the heater hits 70 I am stripping off layers and ranting. I want it no warmer than 64 in this house. Everyone else can bundle up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by