To help or not to help?! aka what do I do?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by athalia17, Mar 18, 2016.

1. athalia17

athalia17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Farmington, mn
    This chick is on day 23 of hatch. Pipped this morning and I thought it was in the wrong area... pipping on the wrong side so I opened it a little to try to help. It started bleeding so I stopped immediately. I can hear it chirping every once in a while. What would you do? The lines at the top are air sac markings, the number circled is not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    From the initial pip I would not do anything for at least 24 hours. The chick has skipped the internal pip part of hatching out so it will need time. As you have found out it's not ready as it has bled. It still needs to finish absorbing yolk and blood vessels. Have a read through this article ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
    It has a good section on malpositioned chicks.

Good luck :fl

3. athalia17

May 26, 2015
    Farmington, mn
    Oh no! Now I feel like I pretty much killed it! It's still alive, but that area looks dry. Humidity is at 67%. I think I'm just going to leave him alone, and if he makes it he makes it. Is that advisable?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Please don't feel like that :hugs
    The pipped area can sometimes dry out but as long as the membrane under the shell is OK the chick shoukd be fine. Did you check out the article on malpositioned chicks? If it were my chick I would be leaving it alone for now.

5. athalia17

May 26, 2015
    Farmington, mn
    Yes, I did. I just feel so bad about it bleeding. Ugh. I hope it's ok.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Has the bleeding stopped? How much was it?

7. athalia17

May 26, 2015
    Farmington, mn
    It did stop. Probably 1/4 tsp, what you see in the picture.

8. athalia17

May 26, 2015
    Farmington, mn
    Well, I slowly assisted them along. They were very tired by the end. There were actually two stuck in the shell. I kept slowly removing shell as mentioned, soaking in wet paper towel, etc. I have them plenty of in shell time making sure they had breathing holes. Didn't have enough strength to get out of shell and membrane do I helped a little towards the end, once the veins weren't red. When they finality got out, they had what looked like abdomen tears. I believe it was where the yolk was absorbing. There was no yoke left, but they looked like cuts. Used betadine, and a little non stick wrap on one chick. They are both arriving around slowly and stiffly. I am praying they will be ok.

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You might want to try sav a chick in the water (or another electrolyte) nutri drench or even some sugar water to give them a little lift up. The "navel" is what you are seeing and that should close up w/out any issues as long as it doesn't get infected. How are they doing today?

1 person likes this.
  10. athalia17

May 26, 2015
    Farmington, mn
    Did the savachick. They are in with the others today. Lots of sleeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by