To help or not to help...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by slickchik, Jan 1, 2010.

1. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    To help or not to help...

I have never hatched anything before... I have jersey giants hatching and one has opened up a large hole but its leg is sticking through and it has been about 10 hours. It is breathing and moving but maybe it is in the wrong position...

Do I leave it alone or do I pick away part of the shell...

When is it safe to move the others to a brooder?

Thanks!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    leave it.... as heart wrenching as it is.. do not assist

3. slickchik

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    kinda what i was thinking [​IMG]

4. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I can't help myself... I help. I don't open it all the way, I just get the next piece off for the chick. I'd make sure it has good access to air, maybe clear a little around it's head, then let it be.

5. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    I'd help. He may be stuck due to low humidity or inproper position. You've got time and prolly money already invested in the little bugger. If there was blood I would be concerned but for now he at least needs a chance to get some fresh air and a chance to strech. You don't have anything to lose by helping IMO. Fingerscrossed for you!

6. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I had never hatched anything until a few days ago. I did assist with one chick as it was malpositioned in its shell and could not have come out on its own. He pipped, I could hear peeping, and I left it alone for 24 hours. After that point, I picked off some of the shell around where he pipped, leaving the white membrane/internal membrane alone to see if he could possibly make it on his own. On Day 2 I very, very carefully peeled back some of the white membrane as well. When the other egg hatched (same day) I very carefully did pull back the white membrane (with pinpoint tweezers) and then did open the inner membrane after seeing that the blood vessels had receded.

Both my ducklings made it fine, but they are pets only and will not be breeding stock. As small as my farm is, I don't mind assisting w/ a hatch, but I wouldn't want to use that chicken/duck for breeding, either. Many people would say leave it alone, and just as many will say to help. So, I would just say do what you feel is the best decision for your flock.

Good luck!

7. slickchik

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    We helped it... I don't know what to think... she is weak and tired. Her neck is kinked because of her position in the egg and she is panting.

Kinda think she isn't going to make it but either way I don't think she would have made it. So I actually feel better helping... at least I did what i could. I would have regretted her dying and wondering if I could have helped...

I just have to wait and see what happens in the morning.

Thanks to all...

8. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I had two hatch Christmas Day, the 3rd finally pipped early on the 27th, zipped a bit and was stuck firm by Monday after lunch. I helped it out. It died (was seemingly healthy) early yesterday morning [​IMG][​IMG]

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ive helped twice once with an ameraucana chick and once with a duck the ameraucana chick i helped died and the the duck lived so i guess its a judgement call on your part hope all goes well with you little one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by